Monday 18 April 2011

NEW MEDIA EMPLOYMENT.



As a young person I use new media. As a media student I use new media. And as an employee I use new media. I literally can’t see myself having it any other way. My entire lifestyle is based around the concept of new media and I can’t see that reverting to anything else anytime soon. 

As Ms Gill says, every new media relationship begins informally (2007, 25). I find this especially relevant to my existing career path. I currently write for an online events website that covers Brisbane. I was offered this opportunity because I was introduced to a friend of a friend of a friend’s boyfriend. In the past there was no way this kind of offer would have been given to me purely because of my lack of university degree and experience. These days, purely because I have a Tumblr blog of my own, am studying a degree that contains relevant content and have connections, I am now a fully published writer with an ABN of my own without even graduating.

In terms of my future career I don’t see anyway that this won’t change due to public relations involvement with new media. Every class I take discusses how current practioners are adapting campaign strategies to include such new media inventions as Facebook, Twitter and Blogging… just to begin with. New media and the 21st century are so integrated with each other that I don’t believe there is anyway to separate them.

REFERENCES:

Gill, R. (2007). Informality is the New Black. In Technobohemians or the new Cybertariat? New Media work in Amsterdam a decade after the web. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures: 24-30 & 38-43.

1 comment:

  1. Go Tess! it's so encouraging to hear people gaining employment in the field by successfully applying networking strategies.

    ReplyDelete