Monday 4 April 2011

ONLINE ALWAYS


Deuze’s reading this week really spoke to me. The world we live in today is so totally consumed with media that it is almost impossible to do anything without using in some way new media (2011, 137). This has had two effects on me, which I would hardly cause positive.

Firstly, I find it extremely hard to do one thing at a time. Having a Smart Phone I am used to constantly having access to my messages, phone book, emails, BBM messages, Facebook, Tumblr, the internet, a GPS and so on and so forth. I also have a laptop with me most days at uni making it easy for me to always be online. Unfortunately I am now unable to sit still and read a book, which causes me a lot of upset.
           
And secondly, I often find myself doing things in “real life” purely to put it on an online format. This relates especially to outfit photographs. It’s frequently a struggle to justify the point of wearing new clothes if no one will see them. I’m certain this kind of attitude is not healthy and for that I blame new media.

References:

Deuze, M. (2011). Media Life. In Media, Culture & Society, Volume 33, issue 1, pp. 137-148

No comments:

Post a Comment